Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Willamette Valley


One of the most notable areas for hop growing in the world and home of one of probably the most notable beer city in the USA. This place was one of the first places I added to my itinerary when planning travels within US.

Dechutes Brewpub in Portland was good place to start. It felt quite good to have more balanced beers after having several and several very extreme California beers. Even that California produces many of most high-rated beers in the world, I seemed that brewers in California were competing about who makes the most extreme beer instead of making the most satisfying one. Maybe it was the longer tradition of beer brewing in Oregon that makes the difference. Beers tasted way more balanced and somehow more elaborate.

Dechutes
163. Hefeweizen
164. Inly Lager
165. 31-25 Hef
166. Inversion IPA (cask)
167. Ursus Strong Pale
168. Red Chair NWPA
169. Mirror Pond Pale
170. Inverted Pale
171. Black Butte Porter
172. Green lakes Organic Ale
173. Cascade Ale
174. Obsidian Stout

Next stop, Bridgeport was somewhat disappointment, bit heartless place but they did have couple excellent brews. Topping the list Kingpin Double Red.

Bridgeport
175. Haymaker Extra Pale Ale
176. Blue Heron Pale Ale
177. Kingpin Double Red Ale (nice)
178. India Pale Ale
179. Old Knucklehead
180. Café Negro
181. Hop Czar
182. Highland Ambush Scottish Ale

I was planning to go further but rain stopped me again so I ended up to Rock Bottom Brewery. Even that it is a chain, I thought I might as well stop for a pint and wait to rain to stop. I got bit lucky here as I sat next to beer writer fellow who had published a book about Portland beer pubs that can be easily accessed by public transport. This guy helped me to make quite solid transportation plan between the places I wanted to go. However, I didn't want to take it that far as he had when writing the book. During that time he had maximum 30 minutes reserved for every pub. Interesting detail was that as he published the book, even that it was not his main profession, according to tax authority he can now claim back every pint he drinks. Makes me think, maybe I should also...

Rock Bottom Brewery, Portland OR
183. Volksweizen Wheat
184. Sunny Day IPA
185. Morrison St. Stout (cask)
186. Amber Ale

No comments:

Post a Comment