Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hippie Town

First night at San Francisco took me to Thirsty Bear Brewing Company. Bit fancy brewpub with mostly customers wearing tie. I chose to sat down with fellow who wasn't wearing one and that proved to be good choice. Jon was a old time hippie, he had his share of hippie lifestyle and still carried some ideology with him. I guess that organic beer of Thirsty Bear draws some people with ideology to the place that otherwise would be too fancy. By the way, brewing organic beer doesn't seem to be big at US at all. I understood that finding for example organic hops can be quite difficult and getting hops from New Zealand can be to difficult for small brewers. So if you are hop farmer at US, maybe this could be your change to get into markets.

Thirsty Bear Brewing Company
100. Thirsty Bear Polar Bear
101. Thirsty Bear Golden Vanilla
102. Thirsty Bear Valencia Wheat
103. Thirsty Bear Brown Bear
104. Thirsty Bear Meyer ESB
105. Thirsty Bear Kozlov Stout
106. Thirsty Bear Howard Street IPA
107. Hoppen Koff (seasonal)
108. Sour Stave (seasonal)
109. Thirsty Bear Howard Street IPA (Cask)

While sipping organic brews, Jon introduced town to me, told me his favorite places for beer and offered to drive me to one also. We headed to Magnolia, one of my favorite brew pub during the trip. Excellent food and top class beers. Definite must try for every beer lover visiting SF.

Magnolia Pub and Brewery
110. Magnolia Proving Ground Pale (cask)
111. Magnolia Cole Porter

At this point I needed to catch the last bus but I knew that I will be back for more.
Next day started with bit of sight seeing and they have lot's to see here. Many of it is quite touristy but still fun. During my stay I for example saw the Alcatraz that was quite impressive, drove with the cable car, cycled over the Golden Gate and spend a day trying gadgets and science theories at the Exploratorium. As you see, quite much stuff to do here for techie like me.

And of course I left time for good beer scene the have ay SF. One stop was at 21st Amendment Brewery that is quite known in Europe also. Have to say that watermelon beer was quite interesting.

21st Amendment Brewery
112. 21st Amendment Bitter American
113. 21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon Wheat
114. 21st Amendment Brew Free or Die IPA
115. 21st Amendment Hop Crisis!
116. 21st Amendment St. Patrick OSullivans Irish Red
117. 21st Amendment/Ninkasi Collaboration Old Ale
118. 21st Amendment McCoy’s Serious Stout... Seriously
119. 21st Amendment Back in Black

Back to Magnolia
120. Magnolia Saras Ruby Mild
121. Magnolia Brant Hill ESB
122. Magnolia Kalifornia Kolsch
123. Magnolia Prescription Pale Ale
124. Magnolia Spud Boys India Pale Ale
125. Magnolia Weekapaug Gruit
126. Magnolia Weather Report Wheat
127. Magnolia Big Cypress Brown Ale
128. Magnolia Long Break Bitter
129. Magnolia Blue Bell Bitter (nice!)

I wanted to hide this one but... I'll list it anyway. My host offered this one
130. Budwaiser

And something that goes well with seafood chowder at the Fisherman's Dwarf
131. Samuel Adams - Boston Lager

No comments:

Post a Comment